Thick Braided Style
As host to a rather large amount of hair, I’ve had my fair share of coiffure conundrums over the years. Whether I was eschewing the dreaded ringlet for my senior prom, or wrangling my mop into a behemothic beehive for my wedding, I did my best to bypass the typical, opting instead for something more unique. So, when a request rolled in from a ModCloth Style Ambassador seeking formal up-do ideas for thick hair, I leapt at the opportunity to solve her hairstyle headache!
Whether you’re prepping for prom, flying to Fashion Week, or simply seeking a new way to tame your mane, the three thick-hair-friendly styles below not only all use the same tools, but can be easily crafted to suit any occasion. The kicker? Each one can also be altered to suit ladies with manes of lesser proportions!
The Braided Bun
1. Section your hair off into five braids: three in the back, two in the front. Secure each braid with an elastic at the end.
2. Starting with the back, take the first braid and twist into a flat bun against your head, anchoring with bobby pins as you go.
3. Wrap the next braid against the first, being sure to tuck the elastic out of sight. Secure with more bobby pins.
5. Finally, take the two front braids and wrap them around your nearly completed bun, being sure to hide the elastics and securing each braid with plenty more bobby pins. Finish off with a shot of hairspray to set the style.
The Asymmetrical Twist
The side-swoop bun can be as polished or imperfect as you want it to be, just gather a rat tail comb, teasing brush, hair elastic, and bobby pins.
1. Using your rat tail comb, section off a portion of hair at the crown of your head.
2. Holding your hair with one hand, take your teasing brush and gently tease the sectioned off portion of hair.
3. Release your teased hair and — with your brush — gently blend it back with the rest, making sure not to flatten the body you’ve created. Now, gather it into a low side-ponytail.
4. Start twisting your hair away from you.
5. Twist your hair into a bun, tucking the ends under when you finish.
. Grab those bobby pins and start pinning everything in place.
7. Depending on how polished you want your bun to be, pin until you can’t pin any more!
The Grand Bouffant
1. Using your rat tail comb, section off two portions of hair: the front-most section, and the crown. Get the front portion out of the way by pushing it forward, Cousin It-style, or gathering it into an elastic.
2. Next, lightly tease the section at your crown.
3. Twist that section into a small bun, securing with bobby pins.
4. You may have to play around with placement, depending on where you wish your bouffant to be.
5. Now, take the front portion of hair and, using your teasing brush, tease like crazy!
6. Once the front portion is teased, lay it over your bun and, using your rat tail comb, tame any fly-aways and blend the sides.
7. Now, being sure to keep your bun covered, gather your teased hair and push up until you’ve achieved your desired bouffant height.
You might also like
NTJ Flashing Red/blue LED Light up Braided Nylon Cord 3ft (1m) Long Solid One Light Color Tangle Free Micro USB Pin Charging Data Sync Cable for ALL Android Phones Galaxy S2 S3 S4, Htc One X, Lg, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Note 3, Sony Experia, Nokia Lumia, Lg Optimus, Casio, Blackberry, Motorola Droid, Pantech, Etc. (10 Colors to Choose From) (Light Green)
Wireless (New Tech Junkies)
Mouse Pad Sentey® Noir Surface 15.3 Inch X 12.3 Inch (Large Size) Black Gs-2340 / 3mm Thick / Support Wired Wireless or Bluetooth Computer Mouse and Gaming Mouse / Edge-style Standard / Natural Eco Rubber / Medium Friction Level / 100 % Polyester / Pc or Mac Compatible - Compatible Any Dpi Speed and Any Optical Laser Mice Gamer or Desktop Color Match Any Gaming Headset Keyboard Mouse Pc Gamer Surface - Any DPI Speed - Mouse Mat
Office Product (Sentey)
9GreenBox - Live 8 Braided Style Lucky Bamboo Plant Arrangement with Dark Blue Vase
Women's Hat Cat Ear Crochet Braided Knit Caps (Standard, Black)
Baixt Woolen Gloves Hand Knitted Braided Thick Fingerless Gloves With the Function of Keeping Warm and Dress Collocation (black, Long Style)
Sports (Baixt Group Limited)
How do you do a Katniss style braid?
Go on YouTube and search it up. Someone is bound to make a video about it.