Natural Box braids
For A's next protective style I decided to do small/medium box braids. I plan on leaving this style in for at least 2 weeks but I may push for a little longer.
This style took about 2 1/2 hours. We took a lunch break inbetween and I made sure to have toys and a coloring book on hand for her. We also talked during our hair time.
Get the look:
- We washed A's scalp with Bee Mine Peppermint & Tea Tree Nourishing Shampoo while her twists were in, we then conditioned her twists with Bee Mine Avoacado Cream Balanced Conditioner, removed sister twists while the conditioner was in, then covered hair with a plastic cap for about 1 hour. Finger detangled her hair then used a wide tooth comb and rinsed after the hour was up.
- After rinsing the conditioner, I applied Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer to sections of A's hair and banded it up for one day to stretch it a little for the next style. As shown here.
- After banding hair for a day, take the ponytail holders out and start parting small/medium boxes from the nape (back of the neck) with the end of metal rat tail comb.
- Applied Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer and Bee Hold Curly Butter to each section of hair, gently detangle that section of hair, and start braiding. When you get about 1/2 inch from the ends you can start doing a two strand twist.
- Continue parting your boxes all over the scalp and braid until you're done.
Tip: Make sure you braid in the direction you want your braids to go. You can see I braided from ear to ear straight back and the each side of her hair to the left and right. If you want your top section all going to the side (left or right) then braid in that direction. If you want all of your braids going straight back, then braid in that direction.
Tip: Keep your fingers right under the braid as you continue to braid down. This will smooth down any uneven hairs that may try to stick out of the braid. You don't want to have a huge gap between the braid and where your fingers are. Also try sitting very close to your child, you do not want to pull the braid far away from them which will cause tugging on the scalp.
How we will maintain this style:Please understand that you cannot leave hair in braids without doing anything to it. Braids will become dry so you need a moisturizer, braid spray or leave-in to apply to the braids. Care for the hair as you normally would!
You might also like
Bao Xin Design Braid Protective Case For Apple iPhone 5 5S (Not for 5C) with Heat Dissipation Function Lightweight and Cool (iPhone 5/5S Basketry, Blue)